Saturday, April 17, 2021

CARTOON-ACY

 HERE are a few of my favorite single-panel cartoons...


That's me-- struggling to make my blog humorous. Cartoon by Frank Reynolds, 1921.




That's me-- 1000 hardbacks and I always reach for the paperback. Cartoon by Richard Taylor, ca. 1930s.



My wife and I took a figure drawing class recently, and our live model started stripping before we were even situated. "Hold on there, buckaroo," our instructor yelped. "Keep your knickers on. There's an elementary school just outside; if the kids walk past and see you in your birthday suit we'll all be in trouble!"  Cartoon by Mary Petty, 1937.




Uh-oh-- some kid is sneaking a peak!  Cartoon by Rea Irvin, 1933.




When my wife and I took that figure drawing class together it revealed a lot about us. Cartoon by Sam Cobean, ca. 1950s.



Why is it we only see what we want to see?  Cartoon by Richard Taylor, 1943.



Preparing for the weekend Art Fair.  Cartoon by Saul Steinberg, 1942.



And just when I was sure that abstracts were inspired by imagination alone.  Cartoon by Richard Taylor, 1947.



Everything that matters in our world is complicated. But the truth of it all is always simple.  Cartoon by Robert J. Day, 1950.



While I keep telling my wife exactly what this caption says, she keeps insisting that if a new book comes in an old book must go out!  Cartoon by Sidney Hoff, 1951.




Touché!  Cartoon by George Price, 1952.



Oh hush up, Marge! We can all dream, can't we?  Cartoon by Dana Fradon, 1959



If only we could just pay it forward all of the time.  Cartoon by Whitney Darrow, Jr., 1955.



Just like I always thought-- we put ourselves in our drawings.  Cartoon by Ed Fisher, 1956.



Sculpting with a live model is the only way to go.  Cartoon by Charles Addams, 1958.



I always read the little art labels no matter how pretentious they are. And boy are they!  Cartoon by Ed Fisher, 1964.



Here's an art school I wouldn't mind attending.  Cartoon by Richard Oldden, 1968.



That's me-- I've gotta learn to relax when I watch the news.  Cartoon by Gahan Wilson, ca. 1970s.



Yes, I have told my readers! And indeed you have!  Cartoon by Henry Martin, 1971.



This is the word that gave rise to spellcheck.  Cartoon by Charles Addams, 1976.



Nothing makes sense these days-- except that it doesn't make sense.  Cartoon by Gahan Wilson, 1986.




That's me-- more stubborn than a 16 penny nail.  Cartoon by Dan Piraro, 1991.



This is what happens when you get too into your work.  Cartoon by Gahan Wilson, date unknown.



The downside to using a live model. Painting by Raymond James Stuart, ca. 1930's.


[©April, 2021, Jeffersen]



No comments: